Saturday, July 2, 2011

Book Review - Turn Up the Heat by Jessica Conant-Park & Susan Conant

Title:  Turn up the Heat (Gourmet Girl Mystery #3)
Author:  Jessica Conant-Park & Susan Park
Publisher:  Berkeley Crime Press
ISBN:  9780425219478


Synopsis:  Chloe Carter is helping her chef boyfriend with his new restaurant on Boston’s posh Newbury Street, when a crabby waitress is found dead in a fish truck. Was this a prank gone awry? Or did somebody want her to sleep with the fishes?


My Thoughts:  I thought summer was supposed to be the time of year when there was more time to relax and more time to READ!  I feel busier than I was when I was in grad school - geez.  Anyway, I finally got back to my cozy series and book #3 in the Gourmet Girl Mystery Series.  I loved getting back to Chloe Carter, struggling social work grad student, her boyfriend Josh, chef at the restaurant Simmer, her friend Ade, pregnant with her first child, and Ade's 'almost' fiance, Owen who now is a fresh fish purveyor (he has had multiple very interesting jobs to say the list). 


I read quite a few reviews on this book before I picked it up and I must say they weren't stellar.  People were up in arms about a brief mention of a line of cocaine in the bathroom and the mentions in the book of the restaurant staff frequently stealing from the restaurant.  I have to say I wasn't bothered at all by these elements of the book.  It is not like it was the theme of the entire book. 


The book was a fast read, nothing ground-breaking, but a fun summer read!  I'm not looking for deep plots and character developments in my cozies :)

I will admit that the "murderer" and the motive for murder was a bit out of the blue as if the authors simply got to the end of the book and had to pick a murderer,  Not their shining moment. 


I'm moving on to #4 in the series - Fed Up!!! 


Rating:  :)  :)  :)  It was ok!

And remember,
Books Are Life,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment