Friday, May 13, 2011

Book Review - Crossfire by James Patterson

Title:  Crossfire (Alex Cross #17)
Author:  James Patterson
Pages:  356
Publisher: Little Brown & Co
ISBN:  031603617x


Synopsis (from BN.com): 
Wedding bells ring
Detective Alex Cross and Bree's wedding plans are put on hold when Alex is called to the scene of the perfectly executed assassination of two of Washington D.C.'s most corrupt: a dirty congressmen and an underhanded lobbyist. Next, the elusive gunman begins picking off other crooked politicians, sparking a blaze of theories—is the marksman a hero or a vigilante?
A murderer returns
The case explodes, and the FBI assigns agent Max Siegel to the investigation. As Alex and Siegel battle over jurisdiction, the murders continue. It becomes clear that they are the work of a professional who has detailed knowledge of his victims' movements—information that only a Washington insider could possess.
Caught in a lethal cross fire
As Alex contends with the sniper, Siegel, and the wedding, he receives a call from his deadliest adversary, Kyle Craig. The Mastermind is in D.C. and will not relent until he has eliminated Cross and his family for good. With a supercharged blend of action, deception, and suspense, Cross Fire is James Patterson's most visceral and exciting Alex Cross novel ever.


My thoughts:  Crossfire is the 17th installment in the ever popular Alex Cross series.  I have read every single Alex Cross book and absolutely love them.  That being said, Crossfire did fall a little flat for me.  The cover of the book provides us the teaser of "Alex Cross gets married and Kyle Craig is back!" Anyone who has read the Cross books knows the story of Kyle Craig and I was one who was excited to see what new suspense and drama this series would take now that he was back.  In all honesty, the Kyle Craig plot literally left me saying "What?!  That was it!  How did we get there?"  I was left wanting more and not in a good way. 


I felt like the storylines in this book took huge leaps at times while not providing any excitement along the way.  I found it boring and quite predictable at times.  Crossfire didn't provide me the excitement and suspense that I have come to love in James Patterson's novels.  I hate to think that now that James Patterson has multiple series going including the Women's Murder Club series and a number of young adult series that he is letting the steam out of Alex Cross! 


Of course, being a fan of the Alex Cross series, I will read whatever book #18 holds. 


Overall, I expected more from Crossfire than what it delivered.


My rating:  : )  : )  : )  It was ok!


And remember,
Books Are Life,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment