Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten


Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves

Brought to you by Broke and Bookish

I have so been enjoying reading people's posts on this, they are hilarious and oh so true, so true!!

1.  People interrupting you when you are reading to talk.  This used to happen to me all of the time over my lunch break.  There must be some kind of draw between me picking up my book and people wanting to talk to me.  As soon as people see you are reading they interrupt to engage in discussion, like it somehow makes them uncomfortable that you are reading.  Isn't simply holding a book a sign to people that I want to read?  I guess not :)

2.  Borrowing people your books and getting them back all beat up.  I treat my books very well and hate getting them back with the spines all broken and pages bent up.  Why oh why do you have to be rough on books?

3.  Long sections in the middle of a book that serves no purpose but to fill pages.  My favorite example is Mount Dragon by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preseton.  There was literallyl 150 pages in the middle of the book where the characters were riding through the desert on horses - ugh!  Why?

4.  People who say "Oh I wish I had all that time to read".  I figure if you really like to read you can find some time in your day to get it done - even if it is a small amount of time.  We are all busy and find time to do those things we value and like.

5.  Books that are overhyped.  Like with movies, the more press and hype they get and the more people tell me I'm going to love them, the more I end up disliking them.

6.  People who look down on the type of book genre you read.  In my opinion, reading is good!  I don't care what you read as long as you read.  I like to read cozy mysteries or psychological thrillers, they are no less than classics or great non-fiction.  Just read!

7.  Those that think that reading means you are being antisocial.  I'm not reading because I want to avoid you, ignore you, or don't want to talk to you.  I am just reading because I really like reading.  

8.  Reading a series book out of order.  I hate it when I read a great book with great characters and find out it was not the first book in the series.  I really only like to read books in order.  

9.  Books that are completely mangled in their movie form.  I try not to see a movie that is based on a book before I finish the book.  I really want to form my own ideas and mental images of what the characters are like and not be influenced by what someone else thinks.  

10. Books that end weakly and that leave you wondering where did that come from!  You all know what I'm talking about. 


Loved this topic,

Books Are Life,
Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment